Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Extra Fuel (Aux Fuel Tank)
PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:26 pm 

I get about 42 on a good day - 40 pretty often

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:19 am 

I cant allways explain how some seemingly similar set up bikes vary so much in MPG.

My bike gets right about 60 MPG if you go easy on the throttle and keep steady speeds on country roads in the 50 to 60 MPH range.

If i run interstate at 70 MPH, I still get mid 50's.

Im just above sea level, run non ethanol fuel, have a +6 clearview screen, everything else is bone stock.

My buddys old bike with a similar setup got mid 50's. I seem to remember getting somewhere around 208 miles till the tank ran out on reserve when I was testing my range, and marking where the fuel gauge read when I hit reserve.

With my mileage, I have no need for a bigger tank. I simply fill up when Im around half tank when ever I run across a good non ethanol supply.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:13 pm 

I get 50+ per gallon in city, and mid 50's at freeway speeds.
I have had blood clots in my leg in the past and have to get off more often and walk then when I was younger.
So when my fuel gauge reads E, I know I still have ruffly two gallons of gas left, and I need to get off and walk a little. Good time to fill up.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:14 pm 

markallen wrote:
I get 50+ per gallon in city, and mid 50's at freeway speeds.
I have had blood clots in my leg in the past and have to get off more often and walk then when I was younger.
So when my fuel gauge reads E, I know I still have ruffly two gallons of gas left, and I need to get off and walk a little. Good time to fill up.

Very good point.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:22 am 

I carry extra gas in 1 quart oil bottles when I ride on the trails. I've used the same one for a couple of years and it's still fine. It has stretched a little, guess it got too warm in the sun (it's black plastic).

They would fit easier than a 1 gallon jug in the trunk. 1 or 2 of them would get you down the road a ways.

I don't fill them completely to the top. I leave 1-2" of air for expansion.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:13 pm 

GlennR wrote:
I carry extra gas in 1 quart oil bottles when I ride on the trails. I've used the same one for a couple of years and it's still fine. It has stretched a little, guess it got too warm in the sun (it's black plastic).

They would fit easier than a 1 gallon jug in the trunk. 1 or 2 of them would get you down the road a ways.

I don't fill them completely to the top. I leave 1-2" of air for expansion.

That's a good idea. Container is easy to come by :D . Any gas fumes escape?

1982 Honda CB900F
1977 Honda GL 1000

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:22 pm 

I bought a couple of 1-liter Brunton fuel bottles. They are made of aluminum and are made for carrying gas. They fit nicely in the small end of the trunk, one on each side. A hose clamp holds them to a bicycle water bottle holder. Normally these are $10-$15. I caught a sale and paid only $3 or $4 for each one. They also make a 1.5 liter bottle if you need a little more insurance.

Bob Carr
Stem NC

IBA #56949

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:28 pm 

Here is where I found mine, but they are currently sold out.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/brunto ... m~p~2963h/

Bob Carr
Stem NC

IBA #56949

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:17 am 

The aluminum bottles are nice, but like you said are normally $15 or so.

I got the idea of the used oil bottles from the dual-sport & off-road guys. They mentioned a variety of used containers; Gatorade bottles and the bladders from coffee & tea boxes were popular. The bladders pack flat and hold more, but I don't have a source for them.

I had some empty oil bottles handy and figured the plastic was likely petro safe. The large mouth ones are easier to fill, and the rectangular shape packs well.

I haven't had any off gassing issues, but I mainly carry them in a fabric saddlebag on the trail bike or in a milk crate mounted on my ATV that I carry for the chain saw fuel/oil/tools etc.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 8:22 am 

I got over my off-roading half a century ago. Bones are too brittle now. I'm a sedate highway cruiser these days. And even though the PC can go 200 miles between fill-ups, I can't make more than 2 hours between pee breaks, so spare fuel is a moot point for me. ;)

Bob Carr
Stem NC

IBA #56949

Report this post