Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:01 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

What do you wear?
Full-Face 37%  37%  [ 16 ]
Modular 49%  49%  [ 21 ]
3/4 (Open Face) 12%  12%  [ 5 ]
Half-Helmet 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
None 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 43
 Post subject: Re: Helmets - Full-Face, Modular, Halfie, 3/4 or none?
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:36 pm 

Yea! I thought it would be cool to have a bike cause I could just hop on ans go but now when the whistle blows all the cagers (who walk past me at the bike to get to their cages parked farther away) are out of the parking lot before I even get on the bike.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 10:59 pm 

Took care of a guy in the ED one night. Per the highway patrol officer...Hit the back of a stopped car doing about 60... came off his Suzuki GSX-R and flew over the car...landed on his forearms and head...slid quite a ways.
He did not have on a jacket...guess what his arms looked like...they'll be OK after a few skin grafts.
He did have on a full face helmet that was nicely ground down to the fiberglass on the front...his good looks were intact...
Very lucky...no broken bones.
I always wear a full-face or modular and a jacket...even down to the store...you just never know.
Bill R

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:11 am 

My answer to this has evolved over time, as I'm sure it has for many of us. I now wear a modular and love it. I actually have two as I often have one of my bikes at the cottage and the other at the house. Hated to get to one or the other, wanting to go for a ride only to realize I left the helmet at the other location. I do still own a 3/4 which I occasionally wear when riding my sidecar bike around the village where we have the cottage but that's about it. I have, over time, become a ATGATT kinda guy.

1994 PC800
1998 PC800
2015 NC750XA

Last edited by FundyRider on Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:12 pm 

I have a friend who wants that sidecar best BAD ! -

Me... I have a full face and a modular I never wear anything less. I know what the pavement feels like, I don't want to know how it tastes.

I wear an armored jacket pretty much all year - I have 3 mesh, textile and lined-leather.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:00 am 

I also have a full face, and a modular. I REFUSE to ride without a helmet. I've been a Paramedic for over 15 years, and am now also an RN. I have seen what happens up close and personal to those who wreck (even at low speed) without a helmet (I call mine my "brain bucket") and have worked WAY too many fatal accidents. I have crashed and been hit a couple of times on my bike. I've gotten some road rash, and broke my leg once, but never have had to try and recover from a head injury. Some things just don't heal right.

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:51 pm 

Horsewomann wrote:
Some things just don't heal right.

Wow.

Very well put.

http://www.StrayTracks.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:53 am 

I wear a full face. I'd like to try a modular. I tend to buy cheap helmets, as long as they fit well. I've had expensive ones in the past, but am fine with a good fitting cheapie. IMO if it fails my neck will probably be broken too, so if it's DOT approved that's good enough.

I wear ear plugs on the Interstates. When I get much over 70mph the wind noise hurts. A better helmet would probably be quieter, but the plugs work well.

I wear a dual-sport helmet on my little bikes, but the wind catching the visor is annoying at speed. And I have MX helmets too for when I occasionally ride at OHV trails.

Since I have so many different helmets, (also have some for family & guests riders) I can't justify high-dollar ones.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:26 am 

I started with 3/4 helmets. I like the "openness" of them. Easy to sip from my Camelback, or have a snack. On a particularly cold ride in Michigan, I stopped at a bike shop and bought a full face helmet. Much warmer. I wore that helmet for 2 years, even in the summertime. Then I discovered modulars. I think they combine the best of both worlds. Full protection when closed, and easy to flip up for a drink.

IBA #56949

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:37 am 

Here is a short article discussing the various helmet standards: DOT vs. Snell vs. ECE. At the bottom of the page, there is an illustration of the fully ATGATT protected rider vs. the no helmet, no gloves, T-shirt and shorts wearing rider. In my experience, the guy who goes without any protective gear has not fallen off of his motorcycle yet.

http://silodrome.com/snell-vs-dot-vs-ec ... throwdown/

IBA #56949

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:07 pm 

Realizing that nothing compares to head damage..... Here in Tennessee occasionally you hear of someone getting a ticket because their helmet is not DOT approved.

http://www.StrayTracks.com

Report this post

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next