Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: My other bike...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:41 pm 

I recently bought a 1983 Honda GL650. My wife says she feels like a jockey when on it. She also says it feels like it it needs another higher gear. It rides just fine and will go highway speeds ok, although it seems happiest at 50 or so mph. My wife's regular ride is a S40 Suzuki. So, the Honda is my "other" bike.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:31 pm 

Hi, I am a new member. Just found you.

I bought my 98 PC800 in 2011 and it is my favorite all time bike. My other bike is a 2012 Ural Patrol. I love it too but for different reasons. It is not possible to equate one to the other. Between the two, I am content.
:D

1994 PC800
1998 PC800
2015 NC750XA

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:31 pm 

Welcome aboard and you have the benefit of enjoying the best of both worlds. Congrats.

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:08 pm 

'06 Vulcan 500.
this has been my touring bike. Picked up my '89 PC800 a couple years ago for something with more cargo and less maintenance.

My commuter/bad weather bike, a '94 Vulcan 500

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 6:23 am 

A used 2008 Kawasaki Versys that followed me home one night this week.

650 Twin, fuel injected+water cooled, Kawasaki used a version of the rather indestructible Ninja motor in these, 2007 to current. They moved the happy window of the power band from more top end to mid range (for old guys)..... perfect!

It sits way more upright than a Ninja. More so like a "Coast, but it has like a 34" seat.

It went cheap.... I had watched it at a dealer, it was a used bike/trade in, and an odd duck being it's a Kawasaki sitting at a HONDA dealer. I had seen it when I went in to get an oil filter for the Pacific Coast, and everytime since I would go back to inquire about parts, there that dang Versys would be.

Like a dog-pound pup, it's uglier than sin.

But they convert into wonderous dual-sport VERS-atile adventure bikes for running gravel roads-to-freeway, and most parts in between, with some moderate applications off road.

Like this 2010 model for example:

Oh, IT HAS A CHAIN...

I will post some pics as this one comes together.
The street tires are actually in good shape, if you like wide, bald soft rubber street tires.
I will run them for awhile...

Aluminum panniers, dual sport ROUND mirrors, bigger adjustable windscreen arrive in the big brown truck on FRIDAY :P

Already has engine crash bars and an aluminum skid plate.

Oh..... the price.

I watched this go from $3,300 down to $2,199 in about the last six to eight weeks.
A cheap date as they say for a second bike.

15,000 miles.
A few scuffs and wear points from being harnessed to a trailer.

PERFECT for my application.
Remote gravel roads, fire roads, and some secondary blacktop to get there.

I had to buy it at that point, right?

Need to install a radiator stone guard, raise the front fender to accommodate mud and larger/tall knobbies. These bikes have great suspension, and a nice stock seat.

It's the less aggressive version of my last bike, more street capable. The fuel injection is supposed to yield some fuel economy.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:47 pm 

Where's Waldo? :lol:

Report this post

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 5:02 pm 

This is my 83 Ascot 500 I bought with aprox 3k miles on it for a grand. Wonderful bikes that are worth nothing today. IMO its better than the crop of 500cc standards becoming popular today. Maybe they will increase in value now. At least appreciation.
500cc vtwin, water cooled, shaft drive, 6 speed w/od.
Owning these two bikes provides a good example of the importance of tourque since they have about the same HP.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:31 am 

New guy here. :)

I grew up riding trail bikes and recently got back into it. I have a Yamaha XT225 dual sport and also a KTM 300 2 stroke enduro racing bike.

Here a shot of the XT225. No pics of the KTM, yet.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:41 am 

Oh, and I recently learned why the rednecks ride ATVs. They are a blast! The little buggers will go almost ANYWHERE :) They crawl over rocks & logs, and are awesome in the snow. They'll climb hills that are so steep you can barely walk up them, and they make it look easy. Anybody can ride them, because they don't require any balance. You barely need to change gears, 2nd gear covers 80% of the riding I do. They have Reverse, which is great. Wish my bikes had a reverse sometimes. I use them for working on the trails where I ride my trail bikes, trees fall sometimes and they're great for hauling the chainsaw.

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 am 

Welcome Glenn. Glad to see you here.

IBA #56949

Report this post