Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: 2014 Can AM Spyder RT Ltd
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:43 pm 

I traded my 2012 for a 2014 model with the new engine and transmission.... LOVE it...... I sprung for the Limited edition of the RT touring model..... Top of the line, chrome, GPS, luggage... etc.

I have added some LED lights and brake light modulator, upgraded the Ultimate seat, added the stiffer sway bar and spring risers.

So far I have put about 5000 miles on since December.

I will answer any questions you have about the Spyder.

MT

Report this post

Post subject: Re: 2014 Can AM Spyder RT Ltd
PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 9:39 pm 

I just rode my PC800 to B'ham this past weekend & got back yesterday. Damn, it was a hot ride down last Friday! Yesterday was much nicer, overcast most of the way. Took a little rain break in Pigeon Forge, at a Waffle House, which was about 1/2 way from home, so the timing was good.

The Can-Am Spyder is an interesting machine. I find it much more attractive than the traditional trikes. I still want to ride on 2 wheels as long as I can, but eventually I'll probably get one. I'm sure it's great for carrying passengers & gear.

What's it's like? The mpg, the range, handling, power, etc.?

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:51 am 

The 2014 RT's have the new 1330cc Three cylinder Rotax engine and a 6 speed transmission.... This combination is MUCH smoother and quieter than the 998 V twin. My mileage is running about 35MPG, range is right at 200 miles. The specs for the engine state 112HP..... It is PLENTY for me. Weight is right at 1100lbs. It will accelerate away from any cage out there and keeps pulling to freeway speeds with no problem.... VERY rideable.

WE ryde 2 up most of the time and the spousal unit really likes the fact that I no longer try to drop the bike when we stop. She is much more comfortable and secure.... I am going to add passenger arm rests because she has tended to nod off on some of the longer rydes.

Gear carrying is AWESOME.... the front trunk (Frunk) came with a small rolling suitcase that you can pack with up to 35lbs of gear..... the panniers each will hold a full face helmet, the top box has the capacity to carry almost anything you want under 10lbs..... FYi we also have a Bustec trailer we haul when we need to take more than we can stuff into the CanAm.

Hope this answers your questions.

MT

Report this post

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:40 pm 

WOW!

http://www.StrayTracks.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 pm 

I see a lot of them around here. I'll have to take a test ride sometime.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:38 pm 

I do not want to give up the leaning experience of 2 wheels but I must admit the stability of 3 wheels and the luggage carrying capacity sure sounds nice.

http://www.StrayTracks.com

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:16 am 

What year did they start using the triple, and is it limited only to certain models ?

Is your RT a 6 speed automatic....semi auto, or is it manual shift just like a motorcycle ?

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:49 pm 

They started putting the 3 cylinder engine in the 2014 RT models..... the S and ST models still have the 998 V-twin. In 2015 they introduced the F3 model...... more suited for the cruiser market. It also has the 1330. There are two transmission options.... a 6 speed manual with handlebar mounted clutch lever, and a semi automatic 6 speed (which I have).... there are small paddles you operate with your left thumb. You shift going up and it down shifts automatically as you slow down. So when you stop it's always in 1st. The 998 likes to spin so the shift points are around 5000 RPM. The 1330 shifts at around 3000....... you can wind it out to 7500 if you really want to scoot.

I have really enjoyed the bike..... I too miss the lean but I don't miss the inability to hold it up with the wife on the back..... It got to be a REAL challenge. Once you learn to lean into the corners, brake going in and accelerating out from the apex you can negotiate the twisties just as well as on two wheels...... It's a different kind of thrill but a thrill none the less.

If you get a chance go take a test ryde..... It can be a hoot.

Report this post