Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: tires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:35 pm 

wanting to know if i can put michelin tires of a slightly different size on the pc 800 ? I dont like dunlops or metzler tires and that seems to be the only company with the size required??? any help??

Report this post

Post subject: Re: tires
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:54 pm 

Yup. Michelin Commander II 140/90-15 rear works well on all years except '89. There may be some rubbing on the trunk liner on the '89.

IBA #56949

Report this post

Post subject: Re: tires
PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:28 am 

Kennethlaplant
I have a 1990 PC800. I am using Michelin on both ends. KD8FQM is correct that the 140/90 will not fit the 1989 model. My front is a Road 2, 120/70-17 and the rear is a CommanderII 140/90-15. I have been running these tires for two years and I am extremely pleased. This combination alters the geometry of the bike a little and makes the steering quicker in the corners. The tires feel like glue on the road, wet or dry. I have over 10,000km on them and it looks like I will get at least another 5,000km or more out of them. The 50kmh headshake that I had with the Metzlers disappeared. These tires improved the ride and handling. One thing that was very noticable was the ride improvement from the rear tire. The larger rear tire will change your final gearing as well, raising it apx 5%. So at the same engine rpm that you traveled at 100kph, you will now travel at 105kph. They are very quiet as well. From now on I don't intend to use anything else.
I have some suggestions. If your fork oil is old or of unknown age, change it out. The slickest method is to remove the top caps from the forks and suck it out with a marine type vacuum tube. The marine vacuum pumps are used for changing engine oil through the dipstick tube. By using this method, you can drain every bit of oil out and suck out the grunge that accumulates at the bottom of the forks. I recommend replacing the oil with BelRay 10W fork oil. If your bike has the factory fork springs, they are probably settled a bit from age. Now is the time to make a cheap improvement. Make or buy a spacer that will fit on top of the springs. It will be apx 30mm in diameter and 19mm thick. The result will noticably improve your ride and high speed stability. This combination works very well with Michelin tires.

Report this post