Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Engine performance mods ?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 am 

Someone asked if there was a way to get good performance without the fabrication of a new muffler. I gave that some thought and posted on ADV Rider July 01, 2016 re drilling the existing muffler. No welding, and can be done on the bike without removing the exhaust system. Remember to do all three mods at the same time: airbox, carbs and muffler. I haven't heard any feedback on anyone trying this method, and I'm interested in how well it works.
http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/h ... 82/page-70

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 pm 

My experience with this on other bikes is that it is very difficult and time consuming to get the carbs just right. Also I've always experienced a decrease in fuel economy when opening things up so the engine can breathe easier. I'd really advise against this unless you have countless spare hours to waste just trying to eek out a couple of extra ponys. Nope I've learned my lesson. I won't mess with my PC800 and just enjoy it.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:45 am 

Dear Offline
I'm sorry to hear that your experience with other bikes has been difficult. Thanks to the internet, I have been able to tell (and show) fellow owners exactly what to do to get major performance gains in an afternoon at little cost. I took the time and effort to assist fellow owners who may be inclined in the same direction by posting exact directions. I took the time, and saved you the work. As far as performance goes, the stock PC800 engine is very under-rated. The "extra ponies" are in the area of +20 hp at 7000rpm. If you don't feel comfortable with a screwdriver, don't touch anything. If you want some fun, look me up.
RS

Report this post

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:55 pm 

Anyone else do these mods?

1982 Honda CB900F
1977 Honda GL 1000

Report this post

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:26 pm 

Blue Thunder
Look here. http://pc800.co.uk/cgi-bin/mwf/topic_show.pl?tid=1426
John used intake and carb mods. Different resonator and exhaust system. More power, but he does not say how much. For known reliable results, stay with my original recommendations. Tried and proven. Jetting and flow are intertwined.
I would like to hear from anyone who has tried the mods. BTW, I have never tried the changes to the existing muffler mods. See posts. That's unknown territory, Jetting is guess work with 0.090" under the needles, #40 pilots, and #54 mains.
Turning the PC800 into a true sports / touring bike is fun.

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:08 am 

IMaScot wrote:
Blue Thunder
John used intake and carb mods. Different resonator and exhaust system. More power, but he does not say how much. For known reliable results, stay with my original recommendations. Tried and proven. Jetting and flow are intertwined.
I would like to hear from anyone who has tried the mods. BTW, I have never tried the changes to the existing muffler mods. See posts. That's unknown territory, Jetting is guess work with 0.090" under the needles, #40 pilots, and #54 mains.

The reason why I ask... I've been wrenching for 35+ years on many different makes and models. Many a person makes changes claiming that power is "fantastic". When the bike is placed onto a dyno, the results typically show that the bike makes less power. "Seat of the pants" method is very subjective and is not indicative whether a mod generates more torque or horsepower.

Note that I'm not disputing IMaScot statements, it just that I would like to see someone else confirm whether the mods really produce more power or just seems to.

1982 Honda CB900F
1977 Honda GL 1000

Report this post

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:09 am 

IMaScot wrote:
Blue Thunder

The reason why I ask... I've been wrenching for 35+ years on many different makes and models. Many a person makes changes claiming that power is "fantastic". When the bike is placed onto a dyno, the results typically show that the bike makes less power. "Seat of the pants" method is very subjective and is not indicative whether a mod generates more torque or horsepower.

Note that I'm not disputing IMaScot statements, it just that I would like to see someone else confirm whether the mods really produce more power or just seems to.

1982 Honda CB900F
1977 Honda GL 1000

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:34 pm 

BlueThunder
With your experience you would be an ideal candidate to make the modifications I'm suggesting. If you do, I recommend fabricating the custom muffler with the 32mm bore per my drawing. The good results and other changes required are known and posted if that particular piece is used. You won't be dissapointed. The power increase is big. The reason that the difference is so great is because the stock bike is so choked off. The next time you have a chance, have a look at the constrained intake path, starting where it enters the small round hole in the airbox entry. On the exhaust side, you have two exhaust pipes dumping into the resonator, and then you have a tiny 25mm exit. The whole setup shouts for improvement. The performance gains exceeded my expectations and made the bike far more fun to drive. And a big bonus is that the bike is still quiet and has that linear torque feel though the whole power band. It's not very often that we get to make significant gains without a penalty. I guess that's one reason I'm flogging the idea so hard. If Honda had marketed the bike with good performance, I'll bet that sales would have been much better. In any case, I hope you ( or anybody ) consider the project. I am willing to assist in any reasonable way.

Report this post

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2017 9:27 pm 

A fellow (Smitty Blackstone) from New York, U.S.A. says he is going to do BOTH the modifications. First, he is going to try drilling the muffler. After that, he is also going to fabricate a copy of the muffler I suggested. When he posts a completed project, I'll be back with the link(s).

Report this post