Honda PC800 / Pacific Coast Forum
   General Repair, Knowledge and Interest in the Honda Pacific Coast / PC800 Motorcycle
    Register FAQ  •  Search  •  Login     
It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to pc800

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Rostra Cruise Control Installed today
PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:16 pm 

Hi,

The waterproof switch, bought on EBay Thursday, and yesterday afternoon, the Rostra 250-1223 Universal Cruise control came. I stripped the bike down, removing the shelter, windshield, to access the carburetors and the wiring. I also had to remove the handlebar fascia so I could drill a hole and fish the wires for the switch and fish the wires. The switch I used has an adhesive backing, which I prefer to drilling more holes.

Wiring: Was actually a piece of cake, once I formulated a game plan, using the schematic from the PC800 Service Manual.

Connecting the Cruise Control to the Motorcycle Wiring

I located the front brake light feed wire (Blue/Brown), was located on the harness with the red connector,and connected both cruise control fuse connections (CC red wire and CC brown wire). The front brake light switch wire (green/yellow) also found on the red connector harness, was joined with the violet wire.

The tach wire (Yellow/Blue) was joined to the CC dark blue wire by using a screw connector and attached to the panel on the rear of the tachometer.

The speed sensor wire (White/Black) was joined with the CC gray wire.

Ground wire (Black) was attached with a nut that screwed to a bolt attached to the frame near the meter panel.

Connecting the Cruise Control Switch Harness to the Cruise Control Wiring

The CC switch harness was fed through the handlebar fascia and routed to the right side of the back of instrument panel. The four main wires, Red, Brown, Green, and Yellow, had connectors on the ends and plugged into switch connector of the Cruise Unit. I also attached a light blue and a black wire to illuminate the switch. Optional, but not too bright when I had it on tonight.

Attaching Cruise Cable to Throttle

I decided to use a loop of wire that wraps around the barrel at the end of the throttle cable. I had to cut a U-shaped notch on the barrel to accommodate the thickness of the loop around the barrel in the throttle pulley segment. I screwed a flag nut onto the cruise control cable housing and attached it to a tube clamp wrapped around the throttle cable housing with a screw and nut. This holds the cruise control cable in place

Now, the loop cable is attached to the cruise control cable with bead chain connectors on each end with bead chain between the connectors. I started out with some slack, but decided to remove the slack to prevent surging. I used shrink wrap to cover the beads and tied a zip tie to the throttle cable coming off the throttle pulley. This should minimize binding and the bead chain coming out of the connectors.

DIP Switches

It took me some time to figure out the settings for pulses per mile. At first I had it too low, and it would not engage at higher speeds and surged like crazy. I settled on these settings:

1-Off
2-Off
3-Off
4-Off
5-On
6-Off
7-Off
8-Off
9-Off
10-On
11-Off
12-Off

This has the Gain (sensitivity) at the lowest setting, Pulses per mile at 10,000, Engine Setup Timer at 8 Cylinder/Low, the VSS at Square Wave input, manual transmission, and Open Cruise Control Switch.

I took some photos, in no particular order, so you can see how I spliced into the motorcycle wiring, installed the Cruise Control Switch, and connected the throttle and the Cruise control together.

I went for a ride, going 60 mph for around 40 miles total. It held its speed within a mph or two.ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

1990 Honda PC800
1991 Honda ST1100
2012 Honda NC700X
2008 Honda Ruckus NPS50
2003 Honda Ruckus NPS50
2003 Honda Metropolitan II
2005 Yamaha Zuma 50

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Rostra Cruise Control Installed today
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:53 pm 

Sorry for my ignorance, but there is an electronic cruise control for the pc800? I have the one you put in the handlebard and press down but it is not effective it moves with the vibration of the bike.

Can you give me details so I can buy it? Thans.

Report this post

Post subject: Re: Rostra Cruise Control Installed today
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:57 pm 

Murph's CCS100. http://www.murphskits.com/

IBA #56949

Report this post